Surfing the net for chocolatey baked goodies, I stumbled upon this awesome possum website.
I wanted to make cookies so badly but I didn’t want to go through the hassle of cleanup so I tried out cookie dough for the first time. Living in a tropical country, anything to do with dough just never seems to work out properly. But I felt adventurous and my cravings just had to be answered.
Some people commented that the dough was too soft. Well, mine turned out too soft. I was expecting it anyway. So I ended up adding more flour but I think the dough is meant to be soft. It’s workable and it doesn’t just melt into brown blobs so I’m guessing nothing went wrong 😀
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (with some variations)
1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp + 1 tsp flaxmeal
1/2 cup milk or almond milk for vegan cookies
2 cups all purpose flour or 1 cup all purpose + 1 cup wholemeal flour *
3/4 cup Dutch processed cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 175C
2. Whisk flaxmeal and milk together, set aside
3. Sift flour, cocoa, soda and salt.
4. Cream sugar and oil. Add the flax mixture followed by vanilla.
5. Fold in dry ingredients in batches. When it gets too stiff, use your hands. Add the chocolate chips and mix in with hands.
** if the dough is too soft, chill for 1 hour
6. Roll into 1 inch balls and flatten to 1.5 inch diameter. Place 1 inch apart.
7. Bake 10 minutes (or less for softer cookies!) remove and cool 5 mins before removing to rack and cooling completely.
* I had to add about another 1/2 cup of flour but I’ll try again without adding flour and just chilling the dough next time
These cookies are like mini brownies. Amazing. Love it. Crispy outside, chewy inside. Would’ve been crazy delicious if I didn’t leave out the chocolate chips! However the crispiness didn’t last long thanks to the humidity. Ah well.
You can’t really go wrong with this recipe looking at how I added so much flour and they still turned out as planned. They’re vegan too so… to all you vegans out there you need to try these.